Saturday, December 12, 2009

Accidentally Belated Facts About Thanksgiving

Hi everyone.  I realized that my last post I accidentally saved it as a draft, instead of making it a post.  It had things for Thanksgiving on there. Even though Thanksgiving has been gone for a while, I will tell you a few facts about it anyway.  The crafts and the recipes that come with this post will just have to be for next year. If you wanted though,  you could incorporate the recipe or craft into something for the holidays coming up soon.  The sites I got information from are the Family Fun magazine website, and a few others.  I will cite them so I do not get in trouble. Here are the things that I got.  Also,  I will put up some new holiday things for this month.

Facts:

Was first as a religious holiday
Started in 1621
Took place in Plymouth Colony
Wampanoag Native Americans and Pilgrims celebrated the first Thanksgiving
Sara Josepha Hale wanted it to become a national holiday
Abraham Lincoln declared it as one
First Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in 1924Football was first played on Thanksgiving in 1934
Congress made it an official holiday in 1941
 Largest pumpkin pie according to the Guinness World Records was 2,020 pounds
Three towns named after turkey or Thanksgiving

Hope you have a good rest of the day or night. 

No comments: